kitchenplay

it's okay to play with your food

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mushroom Gruyere Crostini

My dad is a chef and a very good one at that. Back in the day, he worked for the restaurant atop the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel and the Philadelphia Inquirer featured him and his recipes on a couple occasions. Maybe one of these days I'll explore my Elektra-influenced interest in cooking and the need for my father's approval. Today isn't that day. Instead, I'll share an appetizer I made when he visited this past weekend.

And no, I didn't take a bite out of the crostini at left... at least, I don't think so.

Mushroom Gruyere Crostini

Slices of Italian bread, brushed with olive oil, salt and pepper (half a loaf)
Butter
1 shallot, diced very small
About 6 or 7 baby bella mushrooms, also diced very small
Soy sauce
Red wine (I had an open bottle of Port on hand, so I used that)
Gruyere, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake slices of bread till crusty and golden, about 10-15 minutes.

Saute shallots in warm butter (I like to heat up butter with a bit of olive oil so it doesn't scorch.). Add mushrooms and a tablespoonish of soy sauce. Let the mushroom soak up the soy sauce (about 2-3 minutes). Add a couple tablespoons of the red wine. Cook till majority of liquid is soaked up, about 5 minutes.

Spoon the mushrooms and shallots atop the crostini. Sprinkle with Gruyere.

I cooked up a similar combination tonight for dinner, but as scrambled eggs. I basically did everything the same, except I omitted the wine and added an egg.

The last time I cooked for my father, I made this.

No comments: