kitchenplay

it's okay to play with your food

Friday, February 1, 2008

Rainy Days and Black Bean Whiskey Soup: Update

Despite the weather, the night was a success. Made it to the gym, made the soup, made it out to Making Time. But upon making the soup, i did realize some things I had omitted from my earlier post, so please refer to the updated recipe below.

Black Bean Whiskey Soup

1 onion, diced
2-5 cloves of garlic, diced
1 large can of black beans
1 can broth
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 red, green and/or yellow peppers, diced
About 1 cup of whiskey
1 can corn
Cayenne
Cumin
Salt and pepper
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced (optional)

Garnish possibilities: shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream or plain yogurt

Saute onion. Saute garlic. Add beans, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer. Add whiskey and peppers. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Throw in corn and chipotles. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin.

Garnish with cheese, cilantro and/or sour cream or yogurt.

Up this weekend: the second meeting of the Society for the Promotion of Extraordinary Cocktails...

1 comment:

kitchenplay said...

When I made this last weekend, I didn't have whiskey, so I made sure to use chipotles to give it that smokey kick. I actually threw them in earlier than the recipe suggests... I sauteed them for a a couple minutes with the onions before adding the broth, etc. I also didn't use any fresh peppers since sometimes they get overcooked by the end.