kitchenplay

it's okay to play with your food

Friday, October 10, 2008

Lavender Rosemary Crostini

A more accurate recipe title would be Lavender Rosemary Honey Goat Cheese Crostini... but I shall sacrifice accuracy for pithyness.



Inspired by my Honey and Goat Cheese Sandwiches from a couple weeks ago, I made these for a housewarming potluck last weekend. In light of the occasion (one of my best friends just moved to Philadelphia), I wanted to gussy them up a bit. They were very popular and easy to make.


As lavender is such a strong flavor, and one that is not favored by many palettes, keep it subtle. Start out with less than you think you need and add as desired. As usual, my measurements below are estimates. I did use about 5 sprigs of rosemary and a generous fingerful of rosemary. I *think* it was about 2 tablespoons.

P.S. I promise this will be my last goat cheese recipe for a while!

Lavender Rosemary Crostini

One baguette, sliced into rounds (approx. 1 inch thick)
Olive oil and salt
Goat cheese
Honey
About two tablespoons of lavender, coarsely chopped
About 5 sprigs of rosemary, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Mix together olive oil and salt and spoon over (or brush on with a pastry brush) the rounds of baguette. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and cook till crispy and a light golden brown (about 20 minutes).

Prepare lavender and rosemary by mixing them together and set aside.

When crostini are done, let cool. Smear each round with goat cheese. Place each round side by side, and drizzle them with honey. Sprinkle the lavender & rosemary mixture on top.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this looks amazing, K. thank you for this, and your ongoing culinary insights.

Unknown said...

ALSO,
"le chevrot." best goat cheese EVER. worth every penny. perfect with honey.

milcarnivore said...

It's amazing how complimentary lavender and rosemary are. I like to infuse cream with them and stir it into mascarpone; this goes well with lots of different fruit.

Do you go to the Salumeria in Reading Terminal Market? They have a great honeyed goat cheese which would be perfect for your recipe!