kitchenplay

it's okay to play with your food

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kale and Chickpeas

My house smells amazing right now. I'm cooking up lemongrass in sugar and water to make a lemongrass syrup. I'm not what I'll do with it exactly, maybe include it in brown rice pudding?

This has nothing to do with kale and/or chickpeas. I just wanted to tell you about it.

A couple nights ago I put together a meal that I knew would be super healthy. It was a bunch of stuff that I'm not really wild about on their own, but figured they would go together really well. Here is what I learned:

Mushrooms + Kale + Brown rice + Chickpeas = Amazing.

Kale and Chickpeas
dedicated to Mark Bittman

Garlic
About 5oz. of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
About 1 tbls. soy sauce
2-3 cups broth
One bunch kale, chopped up
One can of chick peas, strained
Red pepper flakes, salt and pepper

Serve with brown rice (cooked according to package instructions).

Saute garlic in olive oil on low heat for about a minute. Raise heat to medium and add mushrooms with soy sauce and about 1 cup of broth. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add kale with another cup of broth. Saute for another 5 minutes. Bring heat to low and add chickpeas and more broth (if desired). Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Let cook on low heat for about ten to fifteen minutes or as long as it takes to shovel the snow in front of your South Philly rowhome.

No comments: