kitchenplay

it's okay to play with your food

Friday, July 10, 2009

July Crush of the Month: The Kitchn

The Kitchn, Apartment Therapy’s food and kitchen spin-off, is nothing new to webby food lovers. And I read it, comment on it and refer to it regularly. But just this week, it’s entered my life in multiple and wondrous ways. It’s my July Crush of the Month.

So what exactly has gotten me so excited?

My latest purchase at IKEA:
cookie cutters shaped like mountain wildlife, including a hedgehog, moose and squirrel. I first read about them on The Kitchn weeks ago.

A cure for ridding my kitchen of a multitude of pesky fruit flies: a small bowl full of cider vinegar mixed with dish soap. The vinegar smell attracts the flies; the dish soap traps and kills them.

The trick for making ice cream without an ice cream maker. The lack of an ice cream maker has been gnawing at me all summer. But I think I’ve found what I need and it involves things I already have or can acquire quickly and on the cheap. In fact, I’ll be making my first batch this weekend.

A
funny little water thermometer that multiple friends brought to my attention. It starts singing opera when your pasta is ready!

2 comments:

melanie said...

I've been wanting to try that ice cream method--I look forward to reading about your adventures with it!

kitchenplay said...

I didn't end up getting to it this weekend, but it's still on the revised to-do list. I'm thinking a basic vanilla, start out simple.